Current:Home > ContactUS forces shoot down ballistic missiles in Red Sea, kills gunmen in attack by Yemen’s Houthi rebels -Capitatum
US forces shoot down ballistic missiles in Red Sea, kills gunmen in attack by Yemen’s Houthi rebels
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:32:28
BEIRUT (AP) — The U.S. military said Sunday it shot down two anti-ship ballistic missiles fired toward a container ship by Yemen’s Houthi rebels in the Red Sea. Hours later, four boats tried to attack the same ship, but U.S. forces opened fire, killing several of the armed crews, the U.S. Central Command said. No one was injured on the ship.
The Singapore-flagged MAERSK HANZGHOU reported they had already been hit by a missile Saturday night while transiting the Southern Red Sea and requested assistance, CENTCOM said in a statement. The USS GRAVELY and USS LABOON responded to the call for help, and the Denmark-owned vessel was reportedly seaworthy and no injuries were noted, the statement added.
“This is the 23rd illegal attack by the Houthis on international shipping since Nov. 19,” CENTCOM said.
In another statement, CENTCOM said the same ship issued an additional distress call about a second attack “by four Iranian-backed Houthi small boats.” The attackers fired small arms weapons at the MAERSK HANZGHOU, getting to within 20 meters (about 65 feet) of the vessel, and attempted to it, CENTCOM said.
A contract-embarked security team on the ship returned fire, the central command said. U.S. helicopters from the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower aircraft carrier and GRAVELY responded to the distress call and while issuing verbal warnings to the attackers, the small boat crews opened fire on the helicopters using small arms, the statement said.
“The U.S. Navy helicopters returned fire in self-defense,” sinking three of the four boats, killing the crews while the fourth boat fled the area, CENTCOM said, and no damage to U.S. personnel or equipment was reported.
The Iran-backed Houthis have claimed attacks on ships in the Red Sea that they say are either linked to Israel or heading to Israeli ports. They say their attacks aim to end Israel’s air-and-ground offensive targeting the Gaza Strip following the attack by the Palestinian militant group Hamas on Oct.7.
On Saturday, the top commander of U.S. naval forces in the Middle East said Houthi rebels have shown no signs of ending their “reckless” attacks on commercial ships in the Red Sea even as more nations join the international maritime mission to protect vessels in the vital waterway and trade traffic begins to pick up.
Since the Pentagon announced Operation Prosperity Guardian to counter the attacks just over 10 days ago, 1,200 merchant ships have traveled through the Red Sea region, and none has been hit by drone or missile strikes, Vice Adm. Brad Cooper said in an Associated Press interview.
veryGood! (24771)
Related
- US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
- It's Al Roker's 70th birthday, and he got this advice from Oprah Winfrey
- Several factors may be behind feelings of hypochondria. Here are the most common ones.
- Everything You Need to Create the Perfect Home Bar — Get Up To 75% Off Bar Carts & Shop Essentials
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- Glen Powell Looks Unrecognizable After Transforming Into Quarterback for New TV Show Chad Powers
- Top prosecutor in Arizona’s Apache County and his wife indicted on charges of misusing public funds
- ‘The fever is breaking': DeSantis-backed school board candidates fall short in Florida
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Massachusetts man vanishes while on family vacation in Hilton Head; search underway
Ranking
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- Atlanta hospital accused of losing part of patient's skull following brain surgery: Lawsuit
- 1000-Lb. Sisters’ Tammy Slaton Shares Powerful Message on Beauty After Revealing 500-Pound Weight Loss
- Taylor Swift sings with 'producer of the century' Jack Antonoff in London
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Lithium drilling project temporarily blocked on sacred tribal lands in Arizona
- How Leroy Garrett Felt Returning to The Challenge Weeks After Daughter Aria’s Birth
- A Victoria Beckham Docuseries Is Coming to Netflix: All the Posh Details
Recommendation
Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
Beloved 80-year-old dog walker killed in carjacking while defending her dogs
Nebraska man accepts plea deal in case of an active shooter drill that prosecutors say went too far
Cute Fall Decor That Has Nothing To Do with Halloween
RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
Trial date set for June for man accused of trying to assassinate Supreme Court Justice Kavanaugh
Nebraska man accepts plea deal in case of an active shooter drill that prosecutors say went too far
48 hours with Usher: Concert preparation, family time and what's next for the R&B icon